Monday, May 7, 2007

Pre-Meditated Acts Of Charity

Usually toward the end of each year through spring I receive a veritable deluge of requests for donations in my home snail mail. So many that it is totally impossible to respond or donate to the majority of them financially. The ones that I am very familiar with their work that I approve of will get something at some point. There are many charities that send requests that are unfamiliar to me.

While you won’t find every charity you would like to check on, the link below is a good site that will be of some help with a great many. You really have to read what is presented and visit the charity’s website for more information.

A star “*” rating system is used, a charity can rank from 1 to 4. One of my favorite charities is rated as a 2 star, but because I personally know many things about this charity, the work it is accomplishing and the way it is being accomplished, they really should be a 4 star, although Charity Navigator’s records don’t reflect that.

The http://www.charitynavigator.org is still a good tool to use in your search to check on charities who request donations and you want to make informed choices, or you can also search http://www.bbb.org although that probably has fewer listings.

No comments: