Sunday, March 25, 2007

Now I Am Personal Chef For My Dog!

So many people were affected by the dog and cat food recall, some even losing their beloved pets. My cat died about 3 years ago, but of old age. He was 23. Now our little dog is getting older also. The pet food recall was extensive and frightening. I was relieved as I studied the list of items on the recall that we had not fed her any of them.

At this point in time, we decided that we would not supplement her dry meal with canned pet products. I'll be surfing the net soon to find good recipes so that the homemade people food supplement she receives will be nutritious for her. I also intend to talk to her veterinarian about the arrangement and what is good for her, and whether or not she will need a vitamin supplement.

In the meantime, the supplement (about 1/4 of her dry food meals) is cooked at home. Low fat, low salt, meat, vegetables and rice.

1/3 pound fresh boneless skinless chicken breast (not using frozen as it contains a lot of salt)
Remove any pieces of fat from chicken and discard)
2-1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon Wylers no salt chicken bouillon
3/4 cup mixed vegetables (I use frozen peas, green beans and carrots, some thin sliced celery)
3/4 cup rice

(You could substitute low fat beef and Wyler's no salt beef bouillon instead of chicken, with beef, the cooking process will take longer.)

Cook chicken until done on low heat and covered. (There should still be around 1-3/4 - 2 cups water left in pot).

Remove chicken, cover and cool. Add rice, mixed vegetables and bouillon until rice and all vegetables are cooked. (Add water if necessary, finished mixture should still have some liquid on it.)

When chicken has cooled, slice and cut into small pieces. Return chicken to pot and gently mix well with rice and vegetables.

Since this supplement has not been cleared with her veterinarian first, if you wish to use it, please check with your own veterinarian first -- and don't forget to ask about the portion amount you can provide for your own dog. I'll post later the information I receive when I get a chance to ask whether or not my homemade supplement is okay. I just don't want to take the chance that the canned supplement I was feeding her will make the recall list.

The link below will give you some important information on the dog and cat petfood recall.

Menu Foods Income Fund - Annual General Meeting

No comments: