Saturday, March 24, 2007

Kids!!! Just What Do They Know?

My favorite Aunt Marty loves to tell little stories about me when I was very young. Actually, there’s one story in particular that she never forgot when she was a young woman herself and living with us. We were all very poor and very frugal and that makes for some great stories remembered.

We lived in our own home, and the extra bedroom was used by my Aunt Marty. Just one bathroom in the house sometimes caused a waiting line outside it. It wasn’t unusual for me to just walk in on someone as I was too little to care about the finer points of proper behavior.

It turned out that I must have overhead something my dad said and when I walked in on my aunt, I grabbed the toilet paper from her, tore off a couple sheets, then tore them in half and said “Aunt Marty, my daddy says you use too much toilet paper!”

Perhaps we were years ahead of our time? Anyway, there are some questions I would have liked to have clarified in the article linked below, but the answers weren’t there and perhaps we are better off not knowing.

The Year Without Toilet Paper - New York Times

No comments: