Saturday, February 17, 2007

Have You Seen My Washcloths?

Tradition has it that socks leave home at an early age -- this I understand and accept, but why do washcloths do it too? I know that both feet were with me at the time I took off my socks and put them in the hamper. I have never suspected the hamper of helping the socks run away, but haven’t yet figured out if the washer or dryer might be the real culprit. There’s always one missing. I’ve even thought sometimes that the sock manufacturers put something in the socks so that every week, one of them totally disintegrates, but I’ve never been able to prove a thing. It’s happened since I was kid and nobody even mentions it anymore. It’s just expected.

What seems strange is that the same thing has recently been happening to the washcloths on a regular basis as well. It’s a nice comfort every time you wash your face or shower to have a nice clean dry one. Is that really so much to expect? Do they also totally disintegrate one at a time in the washer or climb out when I’m not looking?

About once a year I buy an additional package of 18 (I don’t have to run the dryer as long as they are thinner and dry quicker), and we always seem to be missing some of them. Invariably, those 18 packs are foreign made, so maybe their little terry cloth bodies are homesick and escaping to go and book a flight home. Guess I’ll check the packages next time I buy some and see where they might be heading.

No comments: